logo

Monday 25th of September 2017

Member Login


Home About Us Our History
Our History PDF Print E-mail

Celebrating 98 Years!

During World War I, garden competitions were held in an older part of Niagara Falls (Silvertown) to encourage people to grow vegetables to supplement food supplies.  These competitions inspired two young men, Henry J. Moore, head gardener of Queen Victoria Park, and George Emery, head of the City Parks Department, to organize a Horticultural Society.  They invited citizens to a meeting at the Public Library on Victoria Avenue, and on March 27, 1917, the Niagara Falls Horticultural Society was founded.

 

In those early days much effort was put into educating citizens to clean up and beautify their properties.  Hundreds of trees were planted along city streets.  Flower beds were planted and maintained by the Society.  To continue this great community effort, the Society members now maintain the three fire hall beds, the planters at the Lundy's Lane Historical Museum and provide funding for the flower beds at the Fairview cemetery.

In 1942, while celebrating their 25th Anniversary, the Society was presented with a Diploma of Merit and the Silver Medal at the Ontario Horticultural Association convention held in Toronto.

The Society also played a leading part in the tree planting at Coronation Park to commemorate the coronation of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II on June 23, 1953.  For over 30 years, extensive gardening programs were carried out in the city's public schools ending in 1957, when the Society began to sponsor community gardens.  Now a sponsor of the Schools in Bloom since its inception in 2006, the Society provides funding to each of the five participating high schools.

In 1967, Canada's Centennial Year, the Society celebrated its 50th Anniversary with a membership of 366.  To celebrate the 75th Flower & Vegetable show a grand proclamation was given by the Town Crier in August 1996.

Inspiring, creative, mesmerizing are all words that can describe the moment you walk into any one of the gardens on the annual Garden Walk.  It has become 'the' major fundraising event of each summer since 1995.

In acknowledgement of its efforts, the Niagara Falls Horticultural Society was presented with the Environmental Award of the City of Niagara Falls in August 1999.

David Tetrault and Jackie Lynch spearheaded a project to beautify the Victoria Avenue Armoury's front entrance.  This initiative was recognized in 2008 with a Community Corner Award of Excellence at the Provincial level of the Communities in Bloom competition.

Thanks to all the endless hours that volunteer members put in, the Niagara Falls Horticultural Society is continuing the legacy of the Society's past accomplishments to promote horticulture education in the community with scholarships, greening objectives and assistance with horticultural activities.

You, as a Member of the Society, make us who we are today!

 

Powered by Joomla!. Designed by: Free Joomla 1.5 Theme, cc top level domain. Valid XHTML and CSS.